My Special Strengths Dog

Mr. Muffin's newest friend, Sparky.
Two weeks ago, when I brought Mr. Muffin home from the SLVAWS dog shelter, I was intensely focused on making sure I had everything needed for his comfort, safety, and overall well-being.  Just like everyone who meets Mr. M. for the first time, I initially saw a dog with a disability—a dog that would need help overcoming the debilitating effects of previous neglect.

Throughout the week before Mr. Muffin came to live with me, I thought a great deal about how to handle his mobility issues, how to potty train him, how to address his timidity, and how to successfully introduce him to the rest of my animal family.  While these were all key considerations, and things that needed to be done well, I have had a major shift in perspective during my early days of fostering Mr. M.

This past weekend, as I reflected on what I have learned about Mr. Muffin and what he needs from me, I had some epiphanies.  First, I now realize that rather than supporting a special needs dog I am guiding a special strengths dog.  Mr. M. needs for me to see his strengths and to set up situations and encounters where he can use those strengths.

Mr. Muffin makes fast friends of Shayne and Tyler.
I have discovered that Mr. Muffin has few, if any, limitations despite his past.  Having back legs that do not function normally does not define him or slow him down much.  What does define him, at least to me, is his ebullient spirit and his unlimited capacity for attracting new friends.  Everywhere we go, Mr. M. is approached by strangers who quickly develop a great affection for him.

Mr. Muffin brings people together.  He draws stories out of everyone he meets.  He inspires hope.  He has proven more than able to rise up and overcome every challenge.

And so we move forward, Mr. Muffin and I, strength by emergent strength.

Comments

  1. Your realization of strengths over limitations for Mr. Muffin will serve you both well on your journey together. No doubt you and your dog will inspire all of us to rise above our not-so-perfect past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ruthi, these new insights have already made me a better person and companion. The disability we see in others is typically not their lack of capacity, but a lack of true understanding within ourselves.

      Delete
  2. How is Mr. M. and Toby getting along? I'm loving Mr. M. more and more each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toby is being really good about following my lead with Mr. Muffin. It will take him a while to totally come to grips with sharing me with another dog. He is being tolerant, which is the only thing I am asking of him right now during this adjustment period.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure Mr. M will open doors that you never could have opened by yourself. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. It's like you read my mind. I have been thinking about the doors Mr. Muffin is opening. I love that you and I are on the same wavelength (and not for the first time). Surely we are kindred spirits.

      Delete
  4. How sweet! His happiness is clearly overflowing to everyone he meets. What a precious gift you have given him, and that he has given you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone who meets Mr. M. remarks about how happy he is. He is a total joy. I do think his spirit has a very positive impact on people. That is my aspiration, too -- to uplift everyone who crosses my path each day.

      Delete
  5. Mr. Muffins is so lucky to have you as his foster mom. Such a positive outlook can become very contagious and we could all use some of that! Mr. M. is sure to become a great role model for other animals who have overcome hardships and we could all learn a few lessons from him for sure. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as though I am the fortunate one. My intent in sharing Mr. Muffin's journey is partly to encourage others to adopt, or be a champion for, an animal that is differently abled. When you think about it, we are all in that category. Our differences are what make us beautiful. And yes, we can all learn from his example of rising above hardship. His misery is in the past, where we will leave it.

      Delete
  6. Love this story....and it's the same with people. We need to look past what someone can't do and concentrate on what they can. I learned that lesson well when I shattered my arm. It was the only way I could function was to concentrate on my strengths and not weakness. Apparently it's the same with out 4 legged friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pain and trauma seem to teach us the most important lessons.

      Delete
  7. It is good to "meet" Mr Muffins. The love he shows for others surely comes from the peace and safety he feels with and from you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment