No Dog is an Island, Entire of Itself

Mr. Muffin
When you adopt a dog that has had prior relationships with other dogs – and what dog hasn’t? – you enter, in a sense, into relationship with those other dogs.  For Mr. Muffin (“Finn”), there was the group of ten dogs rescued with him from an extremely bleak hoarding situation.  Because of my work at the shelter from which Finn was adopted, I have daily opportunities to spend time with his previous canine pack.

It has been intriguing to attempt to figure out the hoarding dogs’ family tree.  Eight of the ten dogs are Border collie mixes.  Do they share the same mother or father?  Finn is the youngest of the group at an estimated five years of age.  The others are more senior adults.

Two of the female dogs are a BC/corgi mix (Chloe and Cinnabun).


Two of the dogs appear to be BC/poodle mixes (Cassie Joy and Mr. Muffin).  



One female and two males are most likely a BC/Aussie mix (Cybil, Calvin, and Clark Kent).  


How did these dogs come to be living together?  In what way are they related?  How close are their bonds?  These things I ponder.
  
Finn and Cassie Joy (recently deceased) looked so much alike and had the same mannerisms.  Were they mother and son?  Why do I feel a need to know this?  Perhaps, as John Donne's meditation (No Man is an Island) proclaims, it matters because the death of another with whom we were connected diminishes the whole.  I do feel a real sense of loss when it comes to the dogs that died without ever experiencing the life they deserved.


Whatever the relationships turn out to be, I feel a responsibility to all of these survivors of a shared travesty.  When I made a commitment to be a part of Mr. Muffin’s journey toward a higher quality of life, I bound myself to helping those with whom he was rescued.  Each of these dogs deserves no less.

Of the original hoarding group of thirteen, nine remain.  Sadly, two dogs died before the rescue crew arrived.  Two females, Contessa and Cassie Joy, were euthanized due to advanced cancer.  Six of the dogs have been adopted (Callie, Mr. Muffin, Chloe, Cinnabun, Lanny, and Cybil).  Three dogs are still seeking forever homes (Cookie, Calvin, and Clark Kent).   Until the final three find their new families, my work is not done.  


All of the dogs, like me, are in transition.  We are still trying to figure out our place in a sea of emerging relationships.  We may not be islands, but at times it feels like we need a new set of land legs.  Though we may stumble at times, we are becoming more sure and steady with each passing day.  No doubt, as we learn to communicate with one another in the common language of love, we will come to better understand the new entirety that we are in connection to one another.  


Comments

  1. Diana, thank you so much for this wonderful introduction to Mr. Muffin and his dog family. They have each been through a horrendous situation (more than any dog should have to) and deserve all the loving and caring anyone can give them. Mr. Muffin (Finn) has found his 'Forever Home' with you and your caring crew of canines & felines, and I'm delighted to hear that five of these 'rescues' have been adopted. I am now looking forward to hearing about the remaining four waiting for those special people who will connect with them and give them the happy life they've never had.

    You did a wonderful job with the collages - nicely showing off the pictures of this rescued family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your interest in their stories, Elf. You have given me the idea for my next article in this series. I'm going to illustrate the transformations that have taken place in the process of readying these survivors for adoption. Thank you for the inspiration!

      Delete
  2. I'm forever grateful that there are people in the world like you, Diana, who care enough to rescue and find new homes for dogs that have been living in such horrendous conditions. It's sad that not all of them could have known your loving care, but so wonderful that the survivors did. These dogs may all be related in some way, since the hoarder was so neglectful of their welfare. The main thing is that sweet Mr. Muffin is living a life now that he never dreamed of and others have been adopted into loving homes. I wish no dog, cat, or any other animal had to live in misery for even a day. But thanks to you and others who care, many are rescued. Please keep us posted on the few still waiting to be adopted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heavens dogs live so fully in the here and now. There is comfort in knowing that they move on in ways that humans have difficulty doing. Other than residual health needs resulting from extreme neglect, I have to believe that the survivors will come into the fullness of their being (with the right support from those of us who are in a position to provide them with what they need). My goal is to have all of these dogs adopted before the holidays. May it come to pass.

      Delete
  3. I echo Nancy's sentiments. I've rarely had pets, but have only helped care for feral cats on my property or the pets of others. When we had children, we had pets. After we became an empty nest and I was so preoccupied with business and elder care, I knew I'd never be able to give a pet the attention it deserves. That's why I'm always amazed to hear of these pet hoarders who take on so many animals and then neglect them. Perhaps they mean well in the beginning and think they can handle it, or maybe something happens to their mental processing when the house is already full. I'm just glad that someone cares enough to rescue the animals from these homes.

    I participated in a small way in such a rescue. I learned later that the lady with all the cats was probably ill and that's why they were fending for themselves. I only facilitated the rescue of six kittens with some help from another neighbor. We gathered them up as they kept trying to leave their yard on a very busy road. Later they all found homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you mention, I'm sure there are many cases of animal hoarding that begin with good intentions. It seems to get out of control when someone is isolated enough that family and friends don't realize the seriousness of the situation. Thank you for rescuing those cats. What you did made a real difference.

      Delete
  4. They are all so beautiful! I can understand why anyone would want them and how a single individual could end up hoarding. However, we do no good whatsoever if we don't have the facility or the means to care for multiple pups. Each time I see a pretty face like Clark Kent, I think how I would love to bring that mischievous puppy home with me. Calvin speaks to my heart with his tilted head that seems to beg for a hug and a treat. And, oh my, but Cybil is such a beautiful girl! But, I have met my own limits for pets and I know it. I hope someone really wonderful comes in for each one of them and gives them the home they deserve.

    As I have said before, I applaud you for taking in Mr. Muffin. He needed so much individual attention. You have been a Godsend to that doggie for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes the most loving thing is to know our limits. I thought very carefully about Mr. Muffin's needs before making a lifetime commitment to him. There are so many of these dogs I would love to bring home, but I must not shortchange the animals already living with me. I very much appreciate your thoughtfulness in this regard. We can all network to help the right families find these precious "orphans."

      Delete
  5. Oh those dogs are in such good hands with you! I wish that I could take them all and help them to live the lives they were meant to have. I'm so glad that they have you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could adopt one of these precious dogs. I feel a real sense of urgency in terms of getting them all homed. It is past time for them to feel the comfort of being cherished every moment of every day. I had really hoped and prayed that at least one of them would get adopted last Saturday. Maybe this will be their week.

      Delete
  6. I think it wonderful that you not only adopted Mr. Muffin but that you are doing all you can to ensure that those dogs all find a loving home. I completely understand your need to know more about these dogs found together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you understand. If the roles were reversed, and I was the one someone saved, I would want them to learn as much about me as they could. To me, it feels like an act of love.

      Delete

Post a Comment