The Child's Mite


Ten cents was a fortune when I was a child.  Back then we had penny candy and dime stores.  A dime offered up a ton of buying power.  Though the times have changed, and dollar stores are the new dime stores, a young child reminded me this holiday season that ten cents can still bring you the desires of your heart.

It started out as a typical morning at the public library.  Mr. Muffin (Finn) and I train on a daily basis as an educational outreach and therapy dog team.  On this day, a mother and her two elementary-aged children stopped by to connect with Finn and to learn more about his story.

During the course of this delightful conversation, ten-year-old Amanda shared her dream of becoming a veterinarian and animal rescuer. Her heart is set on saving lives.  I was so impressed with this fourth-grader's wisdom and the depth of her passion for making a difference in the world.

As we discussed rescue work, and how young people are helping our shelter dogs, Amanda reached into her pocket and handed me a dime.  Amanda's mother told me that her daughter had just given me everything she had.  To say I was deeply moved would be an understatement.  In giving me her fortune, Amanda unknowingly made me, and the animals I serve, wealthy in the only way that matters.

I immediately knew that I had to do something extraordinary with this child's gift.  Right now that something is taking shape in my heart and mind.  What matters to me is that I use Amanda's mite (recalling the lesson of the Widow's Mite) to unleash the power of kindness, compassion, and generosity of spirit to enrich others.

The true value of Amanda's donation is beyond measure.  The beauty of how she reached deeply to give her all was a real call to action for me.  During a season when I have been celebrating the Ultimate Gift, which came in the form of a child, Amanda has given me pause to ask myself if there is something I have held back—if there is something more I can do and be in the new year.  Of course there is...something more to become...something more to give.  My hope is to be more childlike in 2019.  Isn't it always children who show us the way?


Comments

  1. Oh, Diana, what a beautiful, touching, uplifting and heartwarming story! Thank you so much for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing that. It made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely experience and what an exceptional child. So glad that I stopped by to read this post "Sis". Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to see you here. Wishing you an exceptional new year, Sister Sue.

      Delete
  4. Diana you never fail to amaze me. Yes indeed, we all need to become more child-like. They see beauty in places where adult hearts see nothing special and they know intuitively good from evil. Age can harden every heart if we allow it, remain like a child, God's child in every good way! May many Blessings abound from Amanda's mite and your good ideas to multiply the gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to spend time with children because experiencing the world through them is wondrous. They do help us connect to beauty and to remember the magic of living in a place where everything is miraculous. Children are gifted teachers. We can learn so much from them. And I have found them to be incredibly generous. I never want to lose that sense of childhood innocence or that magnificent capacity to love others with a pure heart.

      Delete
  5. Lovely story. We can learn so much fro, children can't we.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edit: From! Must trim my nails, too many typos!

      Delete

Post a Comment